When you sell your house what’s the first thing a realtor does when they show it to a buyer? They turn on EVERY light. Most of our homes look too dark. Everyone wants a light, bright feeling home but not every room has large windows. Floor lamps can brighten up a dark room and make a small room look larger.
See the best floor lamps updated for 2022 below.
Floor lamps allow you to get tons of light without adding in overhead lights (which are expensive). There are so many pictures in magazines of these beautiful bright rooms with giant windows. But let’s be honest, the room looks amazing because of the architecture which you can’t duplicate. Good lighting is one of the most important design elements in every room.
If you live in a place where you can’t add windows or add/replace lights that are hard-wired, floor lamps are your new best friend. They can brighten up a room without a big price tag.
They can also make a really big statement about your style because they are BIG. Choose one that complements your style. Their large size often means they hold multiple bulbs or higher wattage bulbs. Floor lamps can really lighten up every room.
What’s the best place to Use a Floor Lamp?
Floor lamps work in so many spots (read more about how to style floor lamps here) all over your home. You can’t put them out in the middle of a room, but they work tucked in these spaces:
- Next to a sofa or chair
- Standing alone in a dark corner
- Next to a bed or beside a small nightstand (if you don’t have room for a table lamp)
- Beside a desk
A well-lit room should have three light sources, not including the natural light from a window. Most rooms have some type of overhead lighting, source number one. To make a room look warm and inviting you need two more. Take a look at your room and see where the dark spots are. If you can’t count three light sources, you need a floor lamp.
See this example – it’s a dining room with no recessed lights. It looks light in the morning, but at night you need all the bulbs you can get. There’s a chandelier, a table lamp and a floor lamp. Read more about finding the budget friendly chandeliers here.
How to Brighten A Dark Room on a Budget
Floor lamps come in all styles and budgets. I stick to handful of sources for lighting to avoid spending hours of time online shopping. My favorite floor lamps are from Ballard Designs (especially on sale), Pottery Barn, IKEA (for the biggest bargains, but not the most light) Target, Etsy, and Amazon.
See the three tips for getting a floor lamp with lots of light.
Statement Floor Lamps
If you are looking for a floor lamp that makes a statement, take a look at these. They do a lot more than just provide light. These lights are large and more like a piece of art than a lamp.
I choose every product I review. I may earn an affiliate commission if you buy from one of the product links, at no extra cost to you. This income supports this site. See the full disclosure.
- Arc Lamps on ETSY – This is adjustable and has a marble base. This brand also sells on Amazon, but I prefer to buy from ETSY (which is better for small businesses).
- Tripod Retro Floor Lamp on ETSY – check out this sellers full line of lamps. They have many contemporary lights. This one adds warm light when it’s on.
- Curvilinear mid-century lamp from West Elm
- Asymmetric Ceramic Floor lamp from West Elm
Arc Floor Lamps
This style of floor lamp works well over a chair, couch or in a reading nook. These lamps are large enough that they can add height to small spaces and act like a sculptural element in the room. They can also add a light source at a desk or a home office that needs light for a specific task.
- IKEA Ranarp Floor lamp – I love the prices on Ikea Light fixtures but you have to be sure that they take standard incandescent bulbs. Some Ikea lighting is only made to work with the bulbs they sell.
- Cantilever Drop Pendant Floor Lamp from Target (less than $100)
- Overarching Floor Lamp from West Elm – Comes in three finishes, antique brass, bronze and nickel. Wait for a sale on this one.
- Target Arc Floor Lamp (less than $100)- A simple modern floor lamp.
- Custom Articulating Floor lamp from Pottery Barn – wait for a sale on this one. Comes in two finishes, brass or copper.
- Atlanta Floor Lamp from Ballard Designs – This lamp has a very heavy metal base. It is a really warm light.
Pillar Floor Lamps
These lamps are basically just like table lamps with a longer base. They don’t make as much of a statement, but they can still add lots of light to a room and can often hold a higher wattage bulb than a table lamp.
- Britech Jacob reading and floor lamp – This lamp comes in multiple finishes, black brass and sating. It has enough bulbs that it is great for bringing lots of light (and won’t use much energy if you use LED bulbs). It feels almost like a standing chandelier.
- Britech Mid Century Floor lamp – This lamp has tons of style at a great price.
- Kayne Floor Lamp from Lamps Plus
- Weston Window Pane Floor Lamp from Target – This lamp also comes in a desk top version and three finishes, black, nickel and brass.
- Sloan Wood Floor Lamp from Ballard Designs – This is a very traditional style of lamp. It comes in two finishes, black and natural.
- Ambiore Floor Lamp – What’s different about this lamp is that the shade is adjustable. You can use it with the shade straight light a regular lamp or tilt it. It comes in black with a gold shade interior.
Tripod Floor lamps
Tripod floor lamps have a bit more heft to them than the single pillar lamps so they can take up more space in your room. These examples all have a drum shade, but there are options with a cone shaped-shade.
They tend to have a more modern look to them and fit right into mid-century modern decor. Tripod lamps are more expensive than other styles of floor lamps. Look for these if you have a budget of more than $100 (with the exception of these affordable floor lamps below).
- Wood and Brass Tripod Lamp from Target – This lamp can fit into so many different style rooms. I hope you go to Target’s web site and scroll through the photos for this lamp, you will want to buy it and it’s price very reasonably. Lamps Plus has an almost identical lamp that is twice as much. It also comes in a nickel finish. PS this is not a sponsored post.
- Black Tripod – This one has an unusual black shade, which looks cool but will reduce the light output.
- LEPOWER Wood Tripod Floor lamp – This lamp is a real bargain and comes in two wood finishes.
Torchiere Floor Lamps
A torchiere lamp is not meant for lighting up specific areas. Their light is aimed at the ceiling so they can light up an entire room because the light reflects off the ceiling. They are inexpensive.
If you need lots of light and especially if you have high ceilings they can be great. Here are a few budget-friendly options. If you can find one with two lights in one fixture, those are the best choice.
- Britech Torchiere light – This one comes in three finishes, brass, black and silver.
- Britech Sky Dome light – This one comes in black and silver. It’s like two lamps for the price of one. You get general room light and task lighting.
- CB2 Modern Black Marble – This torchiere floor lamp has two lights in one and it also comes in brass.
- Linen Torchiere – This minimalist design comes in grey and white.
Look around your room and see if a floor lamp would be the answer to brighten up your space. Do you have three light sources in every room? If not, try adding one floor lamp and see what a difference it makes. You can read more about how to style a floor lamp. I hope this helps you the next time you need a light bulb. learn more lamps and lighting,
When you go to purchase a lamp be sure that the shade is included in the price. Sometimes shades are sold separately and they can be hard to match in scale if you don’t buy with the lamp. If you have a favorite floor lamp, share it in the comments.