Do you feel like your room is too dark? There are so many images on Pinterest and in magazines of these beautiful bright rooms with giant windows. But let’s be honest, not many of us live in spaces like that. Good lighting is one of the most important design elements in every room. That’s why realtors always turn on every light when they are showing a house or apartment.
If you live in a place where you can’t add windows or replace lights that are hard wired, floor lamps are essential to getting more light into your space.
Floor lamps are a pretty large item in a room, so you should choose one that complements the style of your room. Because they are large they accommodate large wattage which means they can really lighten up a room.
Where to Use a Floor Lamp
Floor lamps work well next to, behind or over over a chair or sofa. They can also provide much needed light in a corner of a dim room. They work next to a bed if you don’t have a night stand. They can also work next to a desk.
A well lit room should have three light sources, not including the natural light from a window. Most rooms have some type of overhead lighting, the first source. To make a room look warm and inviting you need to add two more. Take a look at your room and see where the dark spots are. If you can’t count three light sources, a floor lamp is a good choice.
See the three light sources in this dining room, which has no recessed lights. It looks light in the morning, but at night you need all the bulbs you can get. There’s a chandelier, a table lamp and a floor lamp.
Budget Floor Lamps by style
Floor lamps come in all styles and budgets. I like to stick to handful of sources for lighting to avoid black hole of online shopping. My go-to sources floor lamps including Ballard Designs (especially on sale), Lamps Plus and Target.
Arch Floor Lamps
This style of floor lamp works well over a chair or over a couch. These lamps are large enough that they can add height to a space and act like a sculptural element in the room.
- Ikea Ranarp Floor lamp – I love the prices on Ikea Light fixtures but you have to be sure that they take a standard bulb. Some Ikea lighting is only made to work with the bulbs they sell.
- Cantilever Drop Pendant Floor Lamp from Target (less than $100)
- Cora Brushed Nickel Arch Floor Lamp from Lamps Plus (bargain for less than $100)
- Target Arc Floor Lamp (less than $100)
- Atlanta Floor Lamp from Ballard Designs – This lamp has a very heavy base. It is a really warm light.
Pillar Floor Lamps
These lamps are basically just like table lamps with a longer base. They don’t make as much of a statement, but they can still add much needed light to a room.
- Geneva Multiple Glass Globe lamp from Target – This lamp has enough bulbs that it is great for bringing lots of light. It feels almost like a standing chandelier. It comes in a single bulb version, too but this one is so unique.
- Oil Rubbed Bronze Floor Lamp from Lamps Plus- This lamp also comes in antique brass and it’s a bargain.
- Kayne Floor Lamp from Lamps Plus
- Weston Window Pane Floor Lamp from Target – This lamp also comes in a desk top version and three finishes, black, nickel and brass.
- Sloan Wood Floor Lamp from Ballard Designs – This is a very traditional style of lamp. It comes in two finishes, black and natural.
Tripod Floor lamps
Tripod floor lamps have a bit more heft to them than the single pillar lamps so they can take up more space in your room. They tend to have a more modern look to them and fit right into mid-century modern decor. Tripod lamps are more expensive than other styles of floor lamps, so only look for these if you have a budget of more than $100 (with the exception of these two below)
- Wood and Brass Tripod from Target – This lamp can fit into so many different style rooms. I hope you go to Target’s web site and scroll through the photos for this lamp, you will want to buy it and it’s price very reasonably. Lamps Plus has an almost identical lamp that is twice as much. It also comes in a nickel finish. PS this is not a sponsored post.
- Cipriana Tripod from Target – This one has an unusual black shade, which looks cool but will reduce the light output.
Torchiere Floor Lamps
Torchiere floor lamps are not meant for lighting up specific areas. Their light is aimed at the ceiling so they can light up a whole room because the light reflects off the ceiling. Honestly I’ve never found one of these I would buy. They are inexpensive, but in my opinion, they look it.
Look around your room and see if a floor lamp would be the answer to brighten up your space. Do you have three light sources in every room? If not, try adding one floor lamp and see what a difference it makes.
When you go to purchase a lamp be sure that the shade is included in the price. Sometimes shades are sold separately and they can be hard to match in scale if you don’t buy with the lamp. If you have a favorite floor lamp, share it in the comments.