Do you love spaghetti? I love Italian food of all kinds, but in our house one person has issues with wheat. I’ve adapted my mother’s spaghetti sauce (which naturally has no gluten) and I serve it two ways, both are gluten free.
I like the spaghetti sauce over roasted cauliflower. My husband prefers the sauce served over gluten free noodles. I use Trade Joe’s brown rice noodles, but they also have lentil noodles. It’s not much more work to make both, which I do.
I’ve tried the zucchini noodles and roasted zucchini, but it’s too watery for me no matter how I try to cook it.
- - 1lb ground beef
- - 1 yellow onion
- - 3 cloves of garlic
- - 2 teaspoons of olive oil (for sauce)
- - 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- - 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- - 1 teaspoon oregano
- - 1 bay leaf
- - salt & pepper
- - Dash of sugar
- - Head of Cauliflower with more olive oil
- - Brown rice pasta (optional)
- - Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in pan that is large enough to hold all the ingredients (5 qt plus). Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Dice onion and garlic and add to oil. Saute for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add ground beef and brown. Add 1 cup of water after the ground beef is browned because it helps you to break up the ground beef into finer/smaller chunks. You can do this with a potato ricer instead of water.
4. Once meat is broken up, add both cans of tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, a dash of sugar, salt and pepper (to taste).
5. Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how much time you have.
6. While that cooks, cut up your cauliflower into bite sized chunks. Spread the cauliflower out onto a cookie sheet and drizzle or spray with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
7. (optional) If you prefer to use gluten free pasta, boil water in a stock pot. Cook the gluten free noodles according to the package directions.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 367Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 68mgSodium 474mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 7gSugar 10gProtein 26g
If you are pressed for time you can also make the sauce in a crock pot and let it simmer all day on low. It’s better if you saute the onions and brown the beef and then transfer that to a crock pot unless your pot lets you do this, like the instant pot.