I recently bought the new Breville Smart Oven and it has an air fryer. I already knew that I liked the Breville Smart Oven because it’s been my most used appliance for the last 5 years.
My old one was looking pretty worn (and dirty if I’m honest) and I wanted to try some of the new colors out. The Breville Smart Oven Air Fry comes in a bunch of colors. I chose, black. If you want to read my full review of the Breville Smart Oven click here.
I was excited to try out the air fryer so I tested it first with fried zucchini and fried pickles. This isn’t something I would normally make, but with all this extra time why not? The zucchini was for me and the pickles are for my son.
Have you tried any of the air fryers on the market? I have a friend that raves about the one she bought at Costco, but it looks so small that you couldn’t make very much at once.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- 1 zucchini (or if you aren't doing pickles 2 zucchini)
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Jar of Pickles
1. Slice the zucchini into long wedges (or you could do rounds). If you are doing pickles, do the same shape as your pickles.
2. Zucchini has a lot of water. 30 minutes before you plan to start cooking these cut up your zucchini and lay it out on a paper towel. Salt the zucchini and let it sit for 30 minutes.
3. Drain your pickles and put them on a paper towel to dry at the same time.
4. Preheat your air fryer. For the Breville Smart Oven I set the temperature to 425 degrees.
5. Prior to starting, use a towel to blot your zucchini and
pickles as dry as possible.
6. Line up three dishes. In one put ½ cup flour, salt, pepper. In the second dish crack and egg and stir. In the third combine parmesan cheese and panko crumbs.
7. Dip each zucchini spear and pickle in your three dishes, flour first, then egg, then panko/Parmesan.
8. Put the zucchini and pickle spears in your fry basket. Don’t put them too close together. If you are using the Breville place your fry basket in the center spot so you get the maximum air circulation.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
I like to eat fried zucchini with marinara, but that didn’t sound as good for the pickles. We ate ours without sauce and they were a crispy treat. You can also serve with ranch dressing or a Greek yogurt Tzatziki sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 138Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 52mgSodium 398mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 7g
You can see all of the steps in images below.