In the age of not eating out I’ve been trying to come up with some copy-cat recipes that are family friendly. Today’s post is my attempt to copy a Chipotle burrito bowl. My son and husband love meat, but I prefer to meatless meals. With this recipe you can let each person in your family choose their own ingredients.
My biggest stumbling block in cooking meat is that I tend to under-season. Does anyone else feel like this? To help with this I’ve been using MANY of Trader Joe’s ready-to-cook meats. These are the greatest! I’ve posted before about how delicious their Spatchcocked chicken is and today I’m using their Carne Asada.
Carne Asada is made from one of those cuts of beef that tastes best if it marinades for quite a while. It’s typically made from flank steak or sirloin. This step is done for you if you use these prepackaged meats. One note of caution, these are not a good option for anyone who is watching their sodium intake.
This recipe requires lots of chopping if you want to have a lot of vegetable options, but otherwise it’s pretty easy.
- - 1 package of Trader Joe's Carne Asada
- - 1 package of Trader Joe's frozen jasmine rice (this is such a quick way to get perfectly cooked rice)
- - 15 oz can pinto beans
- - Red Bell Pepper
- - Yellow Onion
- - 3 ears of corn
- - Bunch of cilantro
- - Lime
- - 2 cloves of garlic
- - Mushrooms (optional)
- - Romaine lettuce (optional)
- - 1 Tablespoon of butter
- - 2 teaspoons of olive oil
Start with chopping before I start to cook anything.
1. Clean your corn husks (if you're using fresh corn) and cut the corn off the cob.
2. Chop Onion and peppers into strips
3. Chop romaine lettuce and cilantro
Now for the cooking. I cook everything in a different pan but you could easily cook this all in one pan if you want to do one step at a time.
1. Pop the bag of rice in the microwave and cook according to the instructions. I love the pre-cooked rice because it's so fast, easy and perfectly cooked.
2. When the rice is cooked stir in the juice from 1/2 lime, salt and cilantro.
3. Heat butter in a skillet and add chopped corn, salt and pepper. Saute for around 8-10 minutes.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic, onions and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes and then add mushrooms (if you choose to). Season with salt and pepper.
5. Heat a skillet to high. I spray the pan with a little bit of coconut oil since it has a higher smoke point. Add the carne asada to the pan. Cook to taste, around 3-5 minutes per side. When It's cooked set it on a cutting board. Let it rest for a few minutes and then chop into bite sized pieces.
6. Heat pinto beans through on the stove or in the microwave
7. Assemble bowls by letting each person add in what they want.
This can be a vegetarian meal, it can be grain free, paleo or keto depending on what you add. You could add cheese for more deliciousness (but we don't).
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 13mgSodium 329mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 9gSugar 7gProtein 11g