I love maple and bacon together, and I love crème brulée so I thought I would give this a try.
Maple Crème Brûlée
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- turbinado sugar
- thick cut bacon
- pure maple syrup (I just used as much as I needed for coating)
Maple Crème Brulée
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and maple syrup until the mixture is thick and pale yellow. Add cream and continue to whisk until well blended.
- Divide mixture among 4 ramekins. Place ramekins in a water bath (large pan filled with 1 or 2 inches of hot water) and bake until set around the edges, but still loose in the center, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled. Remove cups from water bath and chill for at least 2 hours (minimum), or up to 2 days. When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of maple sugar over each custard. For best results, use a small, hand-held torch to melt sugar.
- Top with Maple Bacon.
Maple Candied Bacon
- Arrange bacon in a 9-by-13-inch on a rack, and put the rack with bacon in a jelly pan. Bake in a 400ºF degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; drain fat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF degrees. Pour maple syrup over bacon; flip to coat. Bake, coat and flip every 5 minutes until done. About 25 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to parchment. Let cool to harden.
Original recipe. I just modified it slightly. My opinion the crème brulée isn’t really worth it, because there is not a lot of maple flavor. The maple bacon is amazing! Make sure to make it the same day you are going to use it; it won’t keep.
We have big plans for our back yard this year.
I don’t know how much of our other plans will come together, most likely in pieces. The first part will be adding the sprinkler system so we don’t kill our new lawn, that is easily done since my husband works for a plumbing company . Our zoysia sod is on order. It is a lower maintenance lawn that needs watering only once a week, not like fescue. It is has a thick root system, which should keep out weeds. I am not sure why more people do not use this type of lawn.
Another part will be adding a pathway to our garden, a new shed, and hopefully lawn furniture if the budget holds out. Here are some of my inspirations for this renovation:
The Grow and Store
From the family Handyman
Store bought shed with charcter
I love these cottage-like sheds, we haven’t decided how we are replacing our current shed but I would love some of these options. My preference has the greenhouse attached, functional and adorable.
Designed by Ketron Custom Builders
See original transformation
We have a small fire pit that we want to include a rock and paver surround that leaves a path to the garden.
The pergola and deck won’t be happening this year, but we would love that to be a future addition to our outdoor living space. I have been saving up money to purchase this patio set from IKEA. It is very functional with the extra leaves for when family comes to visit, and we can use the chairs around the pit. (Hopefully the rest of the yard project doesn’t eat up all the money)
Either this year or next we want to add a squash trellis. It should help keep squash bugs from destroying our plants as easily, plus the squashes will take up less space as they grow vertically. Get the DIY here.
This month I am inspired by the electrifying pink hue of magenta. I am ready for summer with these vibrant accessories. I especially want to do the pink hair. I just have the itch to change my hair to something very fun, but I might settle for adding one of these decor items or clothing to my home. A little bit of this color will go a long way in cheering a room up.
- World Market Nina Chair
- Paris Map
- Button Tufted Ottoman
- Target Ikat Dots Pillow
- Passion Fruit Candle
- Elegance Abounds Dress
- Magenta Pump
- Cupcake Pink Hair Dye
- Space Necklace
There are some designers and calligraphers doing some beautiful hand-drawn scripts. I am inspired to take my own stab at hand lettering.
Artwork by Casey Ligon
Hand Lettering by Ilham Herry
More fabulous Hand Lettering by Casey Ligon
A beautiful quote from Persuasion. Lettered by Kristen Smith.
Artwork by Courtney Blair
Lettering for by Wells Collins
We are happy to have completed our latest project. It was a lot of work, but it turned out beautiful. The final design swayed a bit from my original inspirations, bathro but it turned out just how I wanted it.